April 16, 2006

Stuff a Peep in it, already

I realize this country is supposedly 80 percent Christian and all, but since when does it all but shut down for Easter? Pretty much everything in this city (save for the pancake place, Walgreens and the fabulous World Market–go there to thank it, and buy Holly some new dishes and a $300 leather chair while you're at it) was closed this afternoon.

And then, foolishly thinking I was going to enjoy some precious quiet and catch up on reading, I was driven out of my apartment and back into the rain because the only person still in my building was the stereotypical Asian violin virtuoso next door who plays incessantly.

So, I'm sitting in a bookstore coffee shop, one of the only havens for losers and infidels open for business today, when what happens, but some evangelical religious kook comes up and interrupts to try and "have a conversation" with me.

Ooh, your savior rose from the dead today - whoopidy do! Never mind that yet another of his holidays has been usurped by a commercial character bearing shiny things and candy–I'm sure now Jesus has an extra cookie waiting for you in the afterlife for choosing to observe the occasion by harassing strangers just trying to enjoy their lattes and percolate their impiety in peace.