February 01, 2006

The state of our union is more of the same old crap

We’re still “on the offensive” against the “enemies of freedom,” which is itself still “on the march” against “tyranny,” bitches, so clear a path before we clear one for you. Blah blah blah.

What a lame speech–if not for multitasking and my Bingo game (I create my own fun, because lord knows nobody’s doing it for me), it would have been a resounding waste of my precious, precious time.

I myself had Bingo at 8:47 p.m. He didn’t say “ownership” or “twenty-first century,” but I called it disturbingly well otherwise (there was even an Iraqi woman voter in the audience). And a correction is in order, I forgot this speech had a lectern, not a desk. I’m a terrible person. I apologize, and I’ll go kill myself shortly.

Even Bush’s transparent distortions are getting old: how domestic spying could have prevented Sept. 11 and how he has clear constitutional authority to enact such a program; tying a shortage of OB-GYN’s to the cost of medical malpractice insurance like his idiotic social policies and veritable lynch mobs of “pro-life” supporters have nothing to do with that; praising other nations with a straight face for adopting institutions and checks to withstand a single administration’s wiles. Yawn. Give us something new, George.

Oh yes, but America should also pat itself on the back for having liberated World War II death camps–never mind we could have bombed them or the railroads leading to them much earlier, or that the Russians liberated many of the worst ones that were nearer the eastern front. But I digress.

The speech coverage I watched didn’t include any shots of the Air Force woman injured by a roadside bomb in Iraq with her bomb-sniffing dog, Rex (how clever) featured earlier on the news. Congress and the Air Force bent the rules so the dog could be “discharged” early and become hers. Aww.

But of course, this injured woman was quite attractive, and looked absolutely perfect and whole. Why didn’t Bush have a few amputees or quadriplegics or people missing eyes sitting up next to the first lady? We all know why, but still. She would only have looked better by comparison.

Similarly, I’ve been quite disappointed with how the coverage of Bob Woodruff’s injury has been playing out. It would be the perfect opportunity to follow and truly, visually show what happens to the dozens of soldiers injured in such attacks every day in Iraq–the New York Times reported the plane Woodruff was on to a German military hospital was also carrying 31 injured soldiers, about the daily average.

Print media have been doing a decent job, but TV is the only one that makes anything resembling a mass impact. I hate to keep bringing him back up, but damn it, I like to think Peter Jennings would have been all over that. Somehow I don’t trust Elizabeth “if she’s Hispanic, I’m albino” Vargas and the morning show ponies to do it justice.

Especially with Cindy Sheehan definitively making herself look like a lunatic at this point, what with getting tossed out of the Capitol and cavorting with Hugo Chavez and all, we could use a bit of “objective” coverage any intelligent person would have to concede is anti-war.