February 11, 2006

Look at me, I'm so pretty!

And regardless of whether I "deserve" to be, I have it on high authority.

For it has just come to my attention that I apparently had the fashion news editor of W Magazine/Women's Wear Daily liken my look to that of a fiery, highest-order angel. That's a level of fabulousity so divine, mere mortals are not supposed to so much as look upon it (which really explains quite a lot).

I've also got some wicked chic. Just ask Women's Wear Daily, which interviewed me as one of the single most stylish creatures peopling this visual wasteland of a campus last spring. This is from an April 2005 issue I just tracked down today that included a bit on my lovely closet:
BACK TO BLACK

"I've always been slightly unusual," says Holly Noe, 21, a junior journalism major at the University of Wisconsin. "Coming to college, you think there's finally going to be some interesting people here, but it's more of the same, so it's motivation to be even more unusual."

The North Face and sweatpant-wearing crowd may be a disappointment to the Wisconsin native, but chances are Noe would stand out on any campus, given her "seraph look" of reddish hair, extremely pale skin and graphic fashion sense.

Noe, who finances her wardrobe with summer jobs and weekly freelancing for a local paper, tends to limit herself to mostly black outfits punctuated by one or two colorful items for maximum drama. (A recent ensemble mixed black pants and a cardigan with an army green pinstripe bustier.)

Her closet reveals a current predilection for blue and green items, such as a pair of chartreuse square-toed slingbacks with a crocodile print and silver buckle.

However, Noe's restrained palette does not preclude whimsy, as a pair of Irregular Choice turquoise shoes printed with music notes suggest. "One of my friends is starting up a rock band that I'm going to play violin with, and they'll be perfect for that," she says.

The shoes would be equally at home with the feminine silhouette of pencil skirts and cardigans that Noe prefers for her "rock-chick-meets-vintage-secretary look."

But lest she get too feminine, girly colors will not be making an appearance anytime soon. "When I was little, I wore exclusively pink and purple, and now I can't stand either one," Noe says. "I'm sort of working a tiny bit of pink back in, but, like, very mauve, grayish pink."

Inventory:
7 pairs of jeans
27 pairs of high-heels
3 pairs of boots
1 pair of sneakers
33 skirts
90 items of black clothing
The counts are out of date, I've aged, my frivolous fashion funds have dried up and the rock band never happened, but hey–talk of my chartreuse slingback babies and my signature deathly pallor has been immortalized in fashion magazine print, so it's all good.

And thanks to that "seraph" line, not only am I reveling in the glow of superfluous, superficial praise from someone who gets paid to have good taste, but more importantly, I can now rightfully say, "I'm so hot right now, you'd burn yourself if you touched me."